Saturday, August 04, 2007

Summer Vacation is Over!

I needed a break. How about you?

Football is back and hockey is not far behind, so it's time to rev this back up. Before I dig into NFL training camps, and trust me, I will do that, I want to weigh in on several topics in sports.

Michael Vick Dog Show: Yup, dog fighting sounds deplorable. Seems like Vick enjoys it. I don't agree with cruelty to animals, but I also don't like the character assassination of him on a daily basis by the same people (ESPN, NFL "sources") who helped him become as popular as he is. Let the courts find him guilty or innocent. ... Wonder how much Falcons owner Arthur Blank regrets paying him megabucks a few years back now.

NBA Ref Fixing Games? Yet another reason for me to ignore that league in this space. If ref Tim Donaghy really conspired with organized crimesters to profit off games he called, Commissioner David Stern has a real problem on his hands. A big problem. The bottom line here is the hardcore NBA fans probably don't care. But advertisers will notice when the NBA's ratings fall further.

Barry Bonds: Forgive me for going on a roid rage, but ... I am hard-pressed to think of a more personally or professionally dishonest human than this guy. I will not acknowledge him as a "home run king" because it's clear he has cheated and all of his records are tainted. Sports are about competitiveness, but I still like to think the rules of society apply within them. It will be a good day when hits homer No. 756 so we can all stop having to hear/read about him.

Special mention: ESPN, sports talk radio, unaccountable sports web sites. Let me know when you can differentiate between fact and fiction, fellas.

1 comment:

mjabate said...

Barry Bonds usually gets the nod as everyone's player to hate. He cheated like others of his era. For example, Mark McGwire may not get into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Rafael Palmeiro may have hurt his chances, too, and I liked Palmeiro.